Colourmania with McCartney III
The marketing people have all gone bananas regarding the various colour vinyl editions of the upcoming “McCartney III” LP. Every record chain store have to have their own exclusive colour, seems to have been the motto. Here is a list of variations we have found:
1. Standard LP black vinyl, unlimited
2. Coke bottle colour LP (Spotify) 1.500 copies SOLD OUT (at least in the USA, may still be available in other countries)
3. Green LP (Target in USA) 1.500 copies SOLD OUT
4. Blue LP (HMV in the UK, Fnac in France, JPC in German speaking countries, JB HiFi in Australia, other countries may be getting this variation, too) 1.500 copies (UK)
5. Yellow LP with black dots (Third Man Records) 333 copies SOLD OUT
6. Pink LP (Newbury Comics USA) 1.500 copies
7. Red LP (Third Man Records, also sold through McCartney’s official store) 3000 copies SOLD OUT
8. White LP, numbered with poster (Independent stores, RSD) 4000 copies in USA, 3000 in UK, unknown quantities elsewhere in the world
9. Standard CD, unlimited
10. Target CD USA/JB HiFi Australia (Green die on the cover)
Some of these numbers may be for the ones sold in the USA, as that has been the policy of Record Store Day for years; just mentioning the copies allocated for the U.S. market, whereas the numbers sold in international markets have been shrouded in secrecy.
The LP comes in a foldout cover with lots of photos, just like the “McCartney” album, but there’s a twist: There are also different photos in the foldout on various editions of the new album. Photos by Mary McCartney, Sonny McCartney and Paul McCartney.
The rarest edition, yellow with black dots from Third Man Records are all made of vinyl recycled from the “McCartney” and “McCartney II” vinyl editions. Where did THAT idea come from? Ridiculous prices on ebay for that one at the moment.
For the launch, Paul has given an exclusive interview to Loud and Quiet.
A track from the album will debut today on BBC Radio 6, and it’s our guess that it will be available as a single for streaming after that. Looking at photos of the label, five song titles have been revealed on side 1 and two on side 2.
Long Tailed Winter Bird
Find My Way
Women and Wives
Deep Deep Feeling
When Winter Comes
Seize The Day