More Top of the Pops footage found
|Still from found footage…now including John!|
92 seconds worth of material from The Beatles’ mimed performance of “Paperback Writer” from “Top of the Pops” in 1966 will be screened in Birmingham this Saturday.
The Beatles’ appearance on Top of the Pops in the summer of 1966 was thought to have been lost to history until 11 seconds of a mimed “Paperback Writer” from someone filming their TV screen in 1966 came to light late last year, and was shown on the BBC website earlier this year. But wait, there’s more! Collector David Chandler recently handed over a series of 8mm film reels to Kaleidoscope, a group that specialises in recovering video and TV shows. Experts remastered the footage and enhanced the sound of the clip (or perhaps even dubbed what may have been silent footage), featuring 92 seconds of the Beatles performing “Paperback Writer”. The reels also contained 9 more minutes worth of footage with other artists from the 1966 season of the music show.
Kaleidoscope’s chief executive, Chris Perry, said: “Kaleidoscope thought finding 11 seconds of Paperback Writer was incredible, but to then be donated 92 seconds – and nine minutes of other 1966 Top of the Pops footage – was phenomenal.”
The new version is likely to incorporate the previously released 11 seconds and comes from the same reel, but Chandler has now decided to set it all free.
The footage will be shown at Birmingham City University on Saturday, and the screening will feature talks from music and television professionals such as Ayshea Brough, the host of “Lift Off” on Granada Television in the 1960s and 70s.
The full list reads:
• Spencer Davis Group – Gimme Some Lovin’ (17/11/66)
• Troggs – Anyway That You Want Me (15/12/66)
• Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich – Save Me (29/12/66)
• Dusty Springfield – Goin’ Back (30/6/66)
• Gene Pitney – Nobody Needs Your Love (30/6/66)
• The Hollies – Bus Stop (30/6/66)
• Ike and Tina Turner – A Love Like Yours promo film (17/11/66)
• The Shadows – The Dreams I Dream (17/11/66)
• Small Faces – My Mind’s Eye (15/12/66)
• Tom Jones – Green, Green Grass of Home (15/12/66)
• Cliff Richards and the Shadows – Cinderella at London Palladium rehearsal (12/66)
• The Beatles – Paperback Writer (16/6/66)
8mm film recorded from the television by David Chandler.
Watch the clip below: